Copies  of recent court documents - including orders regarding dissolutions of marriage  and judgments of dissolutions, probate, name changes, criminal and civil cases  – may be available at the headquarters courthouse in the judicial district  where the case was handled.  Conduct case research online at to determine where the case was heard. If the case concluded more than five  years ago, records are likely at the Archives and Records Center,  222 N. Hill St., Los Angeles 90012.  (No phone orders are accepted).

Some  post-1999 civil case documents for cases heard at Stanley Mosk Courthouse may  be found online at, where they can  be purchased and downloaded.

In  the Central District, visit or write the certification section in Rm. 112 at  the Stanley Mosk Courthouse, 111    N. Hill St., Los Angeles  or call (213) 974-5192 for information.  (No phone orders will be  accepted.)

Ordering  case documents requires a case number. To search for a civil case number,  provide the names of the parties and the year the case was filed to civil index  staff members. If the civil case was filed in 1965 or earlier, call the civil  index clerk at (213) 974-1378.  For civil cases filed after 1965, call the  civil index clerk at (213) 974-5171.  (An in-person index fee for civil  searches costs $15 per name if a search takes more than 10 minutes.)

Criminal case index searches for criminal cases  filed before 1956 are performed at the Archives and Records Center,  222 N. Hill St., Los Angeles 90012;  criminal cases filed 1957 and later are indexed at the Criminal Justice   Center, 210 W. Temple St.,  Rm. M-6, Los Angeles  90012.   (California law allows misdemeanor case  records to be destroyed five years after their disposition.)

 --Purchase  case document copies in person at the Archives and Records Center,  222 N. Hill St., Los Angeles, between 8:30 a.m. and 4 p.m. weekdays, except holidays.  Phone (213)  974-1196.
--Mail  requests for case documents to Archives and Records Center,  222 N. Hill St.,  Rm. 212, Los Angeles, CA 90012.   Enclose a check, payable to the Los Angeles Superior Court, to cover the  copying cost of documents, which is 50 cents per page and a certification fee  of $15 per document.  If the document is a final judgment of divorce, add  $15 for the certification fee.  If the copies are for official use in  another country, there is an additional $20 exemplification fee. If you do not  know the number of pages or the cost for copies, write below the long dollar  line on your check the phrase: “Not to exceed $30.”  The clerk processing  the order will fill in the actual amount and return a receipt with the  copies.  Please enclose a self-addressed, legal-sized envelope.   Allow 45 working days for processing.
--Divorce records may be ordered online at